Last updated on December 17, 2020 by Dotsquares
When we think ‘pop-ups’, there are certainly some among us who roll their eyes and have the urge to close the web tab out of frustration. But for websites that use intelligent pop-ups that show at just the right moment with a relevant message to your followers, it can be a crucial tool to lure customers further into your e-commerce store.
Pop-ups are messages that are displayed when you first land on a website, click onto another page, are inactive for a period of time or even as you attempt to exit the website. Therefore, they have the potential to be effectively customized to help guide your customers to certain offers or events, ultimately generating more sales without bothering them.
At Dotsquares, we are constantly pursuing innovative methods of generating increased traffic and sales for our clients. We have listed out some of the ways businesses can optimise pop-ups on their e-commerce site:
- Use micro-landing pages: When a pop-up launches, it focuses the attention of the user visiting your site and actively feeds them where to next click. Effectively-timed landing page pop-ups are an easy way to help maximise conversions and minimise customer effort.
- Audience segmentation and Geo-targeting: As your website tracks the source of shoppers – for example, through a Facebook or Google ad – you can customise the pop-up messages to be more relevant according to the ad’s content and its target demographics.
Similarly, utilising dynamic location detection helps your website cater its product recommendations and pricing information to each user, thus personalising the e-commerce experience.
- Reminders: Pop-up messages that remind shoppers of a previous action is a non-intrusive way to maximise conversions, such as a pop-up nudge that alerts the customer of the content in their cart or to complete their checkout process.
- Providing useful information and special offers: To make pop-ups less annoying, you can show the customer a simple how-to on your product, highlight a new site feature, or – most effectively – offer an exclusive discount.
- Capture social media followers and newsletter subscribers: It is no understatement that brand culture has a huge influence on purchasing decisions and customer loyalty. Additionally, enticing customers to click onto regular newsletters with attention-grabbing discounts in the subject line can immensely increase traffic and conversion.
- Ask for feedback: Rather than telling your customers what they need, you can use pop-ups to ask them what they really want. This not only demonstrates genuine customer care, but is also an opportunity to receive feedback to improve your products and site.
- Offer upsells and add-ons: A common way to boost e-commerce sales, using pop-ups when someone has a specific item in their cart, calls for your customer’s attention and leads to a better chance of them considering the additional upgrades you have available.
There are many aspects of a website that can be tweaked to maximise traffic and conversions, and capitalising pop-ups is just one of such approaches businesses can take to achieve this. For more guidance on how to optimise your website and app, ask one of our friendly consultants and stay in touch with us on social media. Our doors are always open!